Studies: He was born in Koutselio of Ioannina, Greece. He graduated from the University of Athens, Greece (Physics Department, 1983) and he carried out Post-graduate studies in the University of PARIS VII, France (Master’s Degree “D.E.A”, 1984 and Ph.D. Degree “Diplome de Doctorat”, 1987 in Air Pollution Chemistry and Environmental Physics with a granted Scholarship from the “Alexander Onassis” Foundation).
Post-doctoral research – Teaching: He served as Post-doctoral research scientist at the Institutes of “Chemistry of Polluted atmospheres-ICH2” and “Applied Physical Chemistry-ICH4” of the Research Center KFA-Jülich (now FZ-Jülich), Germany (1987-90), at the Laboratory of Meteorology, Physics Department, University of Athens, Greece (1991-94) and at the Environmental Research Laboratory of NCSR “Demokritos”, Athens, Greece (1994-96). He worked also as Professor of Physics and Chemistry at High-School (1992-94) as well as Professor at the Institute of Vocational Training (IEK) in Piraeus, Section of Pollution control (1993-96).
Academy of Athens: In 1996 he was elected and appointed as Associate Research Scientist at the Research Centre for Atmospheric Physics and Climatology of the Academy of Athens, promoted to Senior Researcher in 2000 and to Director of Research in 2005. He is Acting Director of the unit since 2011. He worked also as Invited Research Scientist at the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability at the European Commission, Joint Research Center (EC-JRC), Ispra, Italy during a 12-month Sabbatical research leave from the Academy of Athens (2013–14).
Research interests: His research is focused on atmospheric physical chemistry, local and regional photochemical air pollution, as well as on the influence of atmospheric circulation and other climatic parameters to tropospheric and boundary layer ozone variability, with a special emphasis on the Mediterranean area and the urban area of Athens, Greece.
Publications: He has published over 150 publications in International peer-reviewed Journals, in Conference Proceedings and Conference communications as well as other relevant publications. He has participated in over 55 Scientific Conferences and he is a Reviewer in 14 International Scientific Journals.
Spoken languages: Greek, English, French, German, Italian
- Kalabokas P., J. Hjorth, G. Foret, G. Dufour, Maxim Eremenko, G. Siour, J. Cuesta, M. Beekmann, “An investigation on the origin of regional spring time ozone episodes in the Western Mediterranean”, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 17, 3905–3928, 2017, www.atmos-chem-phys.net/17/3905/2017/
- Kalabokas P. D., Thouret, V., Cammas, J.-P., Volz-Thomas, A., Boulanger, D., and Repapis, C. C., “The geographical distribution of meteorological parameters associated with high and low summer ozone levels in the lower troposphere and the boundary layer over the Eastern Mediterranean (Cairo case)”, Tellus B, 67, 27853, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusb.v67.27853
- Kalabokas P. D., J.-P. Cammas, V. Thouret, A. Volz-Thomas, D. Boulanger and C.C. Repapis. “Examination of the atmospheric conditions associated with high and low vertical ozone measurements in the lower troposphere over the Eastern Mediterranean”, Atm. Chem and Phys.,13,10339-10352, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-13-10339-2013
- Kalabokas P. D., A. D. Papayannis, G. Tsaknakis, and I. Ziomas, “ Α study on the atmospheric concentrations of primary and secondary air pollutants in the Athens basin performed by DOAS and DIAL measuring techniques”, Science of the Total Environment, 414, 556-563, 2012.
- Kalabokas P.D., A. D. Adamopoulos, L. G. Viras, “Atmospheric PM10 particle concentration measurements at central and peripheral urban sites in Athens and Thessaloniki, Greece”, Global NEST Journal, 12, 71-83, 2010.
- Kalabokas P. D., N. Mihalopoulos, R. Ellul, S. Kleanthous, C.C. Repapis, “An investigation of the meteorological and photochemical factors influencing the background rural and marine surface ozone levels in the central and eastern Mediterranean”, Atmospheric Environment, 42, 7894–7906, 2008.
- Kalabokas P.D., A. Volz-Thomas, J. Brioude, V. Thouret, J.-P. Cammas and C. C. Repapis, “Vertical tropospheric ozone measurements over the Eastern Mediterranean and comparison with Central Europe”, Atmos. Chem. and Physics, 7, 3783-3790, 2007.
- Kalabokas P. D. and C.C. Repapis, “A climatological study of rural surface ozone in central Greece”, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 4, 1139-1147, 2004.
- Kalabokas P. D., J. Hatzianestis, J. G. Bartzis , P. Papagiannakopoulos, “Atmospheric concentrations of saturated and aromatic hydrocarbons around a Greek oil refinery”, Atmospheric Environment, 35, No 14, 2545-2555, 2001.
- Kalabokas P., L. Viras, J. Bartzis and C.C. Repapis, “Mediterranean rural ozone characteristics around the urban area of Athens”, Atmos. Environ., 34, 5199-5208, 2000.
- Kalabokas P., L. Viras, C.C. Repapis, “Analysis of the 11-year record (1987-1997) of continuous air pollution measurements in Athens, Greece. Part 1: Primary pollutants”, Global Nest:The International Journal, Vol. 1, 3, 157-168, 1999.
- Kalabokas P. and J. Bartzis, “Photochemical air pollution characteristics at the station of the NCSR-Demokritos, during the MEDCAPHOT-TRACE campaign, Greece (August 20th-September 20th, 1994)”, Atmospheric Environment, 32, No 12, 2123-2139, 1998.
- Kalabokas P., J. Bartzis, T. Bomboi, P. Ciccioli, S. Ciesliek, R. Dlugi, P. Foster, D. Kotzias, R. Steinbrecher, “Ambient atmospheric trace gas concentrations and meteorological parameters during the first BEMA measuring campaign on May 1994 at Castelporziano, Italy”, Atmospheric Environment, 31, No SI, 67-77, 1997.
- Kalabokas P., G. Amanatidis and J. Bartzis, “Rural ozone levels at an Eastern Mediterranean site (Attica, Greece)”, In “Atmospheric Ozone”: Proceedings of the XVIII Quadrennial Ozone Symposium 96, 12-21 September 1996, L’ Aquila, Italy, (Eds) R. Bojkov and G. Visconti, pp. 379-382, 1996.
- Varotsos C., P. Kalabokas, G. Chronopoulos, “Association of the laminated vertical ozone structure with the lower-stratospheric circulation”, Journal of Applied Meteorology, 33, 4, 473-476, 1994.
- Varotsos C., P. Kalabokas, G. Chronopoulos, “Atmospheric ozone concentration at Athens, Greece. Part II: Vertical ozone distribution in the troposphere”, Atmospheric Research, 30, pp.151-155, 1993.
- Kalabokas P., P. Carlier, P. Fresnet, G. Mouvier, G. Toupance, “Field studies of aldehyde chemistry in the Paris area”, Atmospheric Environment, 22, 1, 147-155, 1988.