Positions and Studies
Stavros Solomos received his B.Sc. in Physics, M.Sc. in Environmental Physics / Meteorology and PhD in Meteorology / Atmospheric Modeling from the University of Athens, Greece in 2001, 2003 and 2011 respectively. During 2006-2013 he worked as research associate at the Atmospheric Modeling and Weather Forecasting Group at the University of Athens. During 2013-2020, he worked as Postdoctoral Researcher at the Institute for Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS) of the National Observatory of Athens (NOA). In 2020 he was elected and appointed as Associate Researcher at the Research Centre for Atmospheric Physics and Climatology of the Academy of Athens.
Research and teaching
His research focuses on numerical model development, modeling of atmospheric physical processes at all scales, aerosols and their impacts on weather and climate (e.g. desert dust, sea salt, biomass), severe atmospheric phenomena (e.g. hurricanes, floods, haboobs), air pollution, dispersion modeling and model-remote sensing synergies (e.g. satellite assimilation, source-receptor apportionment). He is the co-developer of the atmospheric model RAMS-ICLAMS at the University of Athens and the FireHub smoke dispersion service at the National Observatory of Athens.
He has 35 publications in scientific journals (h-index = 15). He has more than 70 conference publications and he is reviewer in 17 international scientific journals. He has participated in 9 international campaigns related to atmospheric research as expert for the modeling of atmospheric processes. He has been actively involved in >30 research projects. He is Committee Member for Greece in COST Action CA 16202, INDUST: International Network to Encourage the Use of Monitoring and Forecasting Dust Products.
In 2018 he worked as Appointed Assistant Professor at the University of Athens teaching the class “Dynamic and Synoptic Meteorology” at the Department of Mathematics. During 2015-2019 he teached the classes “Earth System Science” and “Space Applications” at the MSc program “Space Science Technologies and Applications” of the National Observatory of Athens. He is member of consulting and examination committees for MSc and PhD.
- Zerefos, C.S., Solomos, S., Kapsomenakis, J., Poupkou A., Dimitriadou L., Polychroni I.D., Kalabokas P., Philandras C.M., Thanos D., Lessons learned and questions raised during and post-COVID-19 anthropopause period in relation to the environment and climate. Environ Dev Sustain (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-020-01075-4
- Zerefos, C.; Solomos, S.; Melas, D.; Kapsomenakis, J.; Repapis, C. The Role of Weather during the Greek–Persian “Naval Battle of Salamis” in 480 B.C.. Atmosphere 2020, 11, 838.
- Solomos S., A. Gialitaki, E. Marinou, E. Proestakis, V. Amiridis, Holger Baars, Mika Compula, Albert Ansmann, Modeling and remote sensing of an indirect Pyro-Cb formation and biomass transport from Portugal wildfires towards Europe, Atmospheric Environment, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.03.009 , 2019
- Solomos, S., Abuelgasim, A., Spyrou, C., Binietoglou, I., and Nickovic, S.: Development of a dynamic dust source map for NMME-DREAM v1.0 model based on MODIS Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) over the Arabian Peninsula, Geosci. Model Dev., 12, 979–988, https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-12-979-2019, 2019
- Solomos, S., Bougiatioti, A., Soupiona, O., Papayannis, A., Mylonaki, M., Papanikolaou, C., Argyrouli, A., Nenes, A., Effects of regional and local atmospheric dynamics on the aerosol and CCN load over Athens, Atmospheric Environment (2018), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.atmosenv.2018.10.025., 2018
- Solomos, S., Kalivitis, N., Mihalopoulos, N., Amiridis, V., Kouvarakis, G., Gkikas, A., Binietoglou, I., Tsekeri, A., Kazadzis, S., Kottas, M., Pradhan, Y., Proestakis, E., Nastos, P.T., Marenco, F. From Tropospheric Folding to Khamsin and Foehn Winds: How Atmospheric Dynamics Advanced a Record-Breaking Dust Episode in Crete. Atmosphere 2018, 9, 240., 2018
- Solomos, S., Ansmann, A., Mamouri, R.-E., Binietoglou, I., Patlakas, P., Marinou, E., and Amiridis, V.: Remote sensing and modelling analysis of the extreme dust storm hitting the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean in September 2015, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 17, 4063-4079, doi:10.5194/acp-17-4063-2017, 2017.
- Zerefos, C. S., Eleftheratos, K., Kapsomenakis, J., Solomos, S., Inness, A., Balis, D., Redondas, A., Eskes, H., Allaart, M., Amiridis, V., Dahlback, A., De Bock, V., Diémoz, H., Engelmann, R., Eriksen, P., Fioletov, V., Gröbner, J., Heikkilä, A., Petropavlovskikh, I., Jarosławski, J., Josefsson, W., Karppinen, T., Köhler, U., Meleti, C., Repapis, C., Rimmer, J., Savinykh, V., Shirotov, V., Siani, A. M., Smedley, A. R. D., Stanek, M., and Stübi, R.: Detecting volcanic sulfur dioxide plumes in the Northern Hemisphere using the Brewer spectrophotometers, other networks, and satellite observations, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 17, 551-574, doi:10.5194/acp-17-551-2017, 2017
- Solomos, S., V. Amiridis, P. Zanis, E. Gerasopoulos, F.I. Sofiou, T. Herekakis, J. Brioude, A. Stohl, R.A. Kahn, C. Kontoes, Smoke dispersion modeling over complex terrain using high resolution meteorological data and satellite observations – The FireHub platform , Atmospheric Environment, Volume 119, October 2015, Pages 348–361, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.08.066, 2015
- Amiridis V., E. Marinou, A. Tsekeri, U. Wandinger, A. Schwarz, E. Giannakaki, R. Mamouri, P. Kokkalis, I. Binietoglou, S. Solomos, T. Herekakis, S. Kazadzis, E. Gerasopoulos, D. Balis, A. Papayannis, C. Kontoes, K. Kourtidis, N. Papagiannopoulos, L. Mona, G. Pappalardo, O. Le Rille, and A. Ansmann LIVAS: a 3-D multi-wavelength aerosol/cloud climatology based on CALIPSO and EARLINET, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 15, 7127-7153, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-15-7127-2015, 2015
- Solomos, S., Kallos, G., Mavromatidis, E., Kushta, J.: “Density Currents as a Desert Dust Mobilization Mechanism”, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 11199–11211, doi:10.5194/acp-12-11199-2012, 2012
- Solomos, S., Kallos, G., Kushta, J., Astitha, M., Tremback, C., Nenes, A., Levin, Z.: An integrated modeling study on the effects of mineral dust and sea salt particles on clouds and precipitation, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 873–892, doi:10.5194/acp-11-873-2011, 2011
Full list of publications: